Work Experience & Academic Pathway
Use the links to the right to access the pages for each class in the Academic Pathway
The Work Experience and Academic Pathway
This pathway is designed to meet the needs of pupils facing more moderate barriers to learning. Teaching focuses on developing pupils’ skills in five key areas:
- Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- English, Maths and Science
- Pupils learn to follow routines, schedules and instructions as independently as possible
- Pupils learn to safely initiate social interaction in a range of different contexts
- Pupils are encouraged to maintain a healthy body and mind
- Pupils engage in a variety of internal and external work experiences
- Pupils develop the life skills needed for independent living
- Pupils develop their verbal, written and numerical capacities to prepare them for further education
- Pupils complete accredited ASDAN unit awards and GCSE (Entry Level) English and Maths
- Pupils access community based social, cultural and leisure activities and work experience
- Pupils develop a connection to their environment through trips into the local community and outdoor learning opportunities
Progress towards Personal Goals that link to EHCP targets will be reviewed at Pupil Progress Meetings and evidenced through the Interactive Learning Diary. In addition, successful completion of ASDAN Life Skills Challenge will evidence pupils’ progress towards the key outcomes. Progress within English and Maths for Key Stage 2 and 3 pupils will be measured through Read, Write Inc. and Singapore Maths assessments. Key Stage 4 pupils may be entered for GCSE (Entry Level) English and Maths.
Attendance and behaviour data may contribute towards a measure of pupils’ health and wellbeing. Where appropriate, SALT, OT and Physiotherapists’ reports will also be used to evidence progress towards key outcomes.
We currently have a statutory obligation to assess pupils against the Pre-Key Stage Standards at the end of Year 2 and Year 6.