Support for Families
- YoungSibs is for children and young people who have a brother or sister who is disabled, has special educational needs or a serious long-term condition. It is for siblings in the UK who are under 18 years of age: https://www.youngsibs.org.uk/
- Sibs exists to support people who grow up with or have grown up with a disabled brother or sister: https://www.sibs.org.uk/
Both of these sites offer advice, support and strategies, including Coronavirus support.
Shared on behalf of Reading Families’ Forum (11/05/2020)
Here is this week’s roundup of the information the Reading Families’ Forum have picked up, which we hope you will find useful.
- There are lots of resources for coping during this pandemic aimed at families with babies through to teenagers at the following link:
You can also find a really good guide for young people on this webpage to download.
- The Berkshire West Clinical Commissioning Group supporting and promoting the challenge below.
- Sunshine Support have some useful pre-recorded webinars plus some online workshops in the coming weeks such as a cuppa and chat on various dates and SEND violent child behaviour and siblings workshop on 18th June. See below for further details and to book. They work in partnership with the SEND VCB (Violent and Challenging Behaviour) project.
- IPSEA are doing some virtual training https://www.ipsea.org.uk/Pages/Events/Category/training-events
- Me2 Club support young people aged 5-19 with additional needs and disabilities to take part in mainstream after school activities. They now support in; Abbey, Battle, Church, Katesgrove, Minster, Norcot, Park, Redlands, Southcote and Whitley wards. They would like to let everyone know that although they are not currently able to get young people started at activities with volunteers, their waiting list is still very much open and they are still accepting applications, ready to get going again as soon as it is safe to do so. For full details visit: https://me2club.org.uk/about-us/
- Parenting Special Children have developed three 90 minute online linked workshops to support families of children with SEND during the Covid-19 lockdown. They have two series running, one starting in April and one starting in May (each series contains the same information).
Series One: Mondays: 20th and 27th April, 4 May: 7:30pm - 9pm
Series Two: Mondays: 11th, 18th and 25th May: 7:30pm - 9pm
To book any of these dates please click on the link below: https://www.parentingspecialchildren.co.uk/news/understanding-and-supporting-childrens-behaviou-during-the-covid19-lockdown-zoom-webinar/
Cost: Free for families with children living, or attending a school, in Berkshire (£5 refundable booking deposit).
Information on all these workshops can also be found here http://search3.openobjects.com/kb5/reading/directory/service.page?id=RBuQuLCCxi0
- The local Charity Stepping Forward can help with Benefits Advice - including DLA, PIP, Carers Allowance and Universal Credit applications. If you are a disabled person, or you are supporting someone with a disability, we can help with Benefits Advice - including DLA, PIP, Carers Allowance and Universal Credit applications. Contact them to make an appointment with our experienced Advisor.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.stepping-forward.org.uk
- Mr Higgins is a PE Teacher with 16 years’ experience who has created videos of inclusive PE games to play at home. They help children with special needs to develop their motor skills and to enjoy staying active indoors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPRhG9g5KcM
- Steph Johnson from Reading Rockets has created 'FUNdamental Workout' - a workout designed for young people to help develop their fundamental movements. The workout is designed for all the amazing SEND children and helps children to practice their fundamental movements and multi skills. https://youtu.be/qBpoR53v1Gc
- Reading Mencap are helping children & adults with a learning disability and their families by keeping in touch on the phone, making sure you’ve got essential supplies of food & medicine, help & advice from our Family Support Service, activity packs and ideas for things to do. If you, or someone you know, needs support, please call: 0118 966 2518 Email: email@example.com or visit www.readingmencap.org.uk
- The government has brought forward a package of measures to protect renters affected by coronavirus (COVID-19). This is to ensure that no-one in either social or private accommodation will be forced out of their home. Landlords will also be protected by a 3 month mortgage payment holiday where they have buy to let mortgages. check what to do if you can't pay your rent because of coronavirus, or call: 03444 111 306 or 03444 111 444
- Reading's SEND Local Offer www.reading.gov.uk/sendlocaloffer