If you regularly have time on your hands and would like to make a positive difference to the lives of our pupils with special educational needs, you are warmly invited to apply for one of the following voluntary positions:
Working alongside Avenue staff you will assist with feeding and facilitate play activities for pupils.
Under the guidance of a teacher you will support individual pupils with their personal reading journey, motivate them to succeed and help to instil a love of books and reading.
Class-Room Support Assistant
You will work alongside a team of experienced professionals to help prepare and deliver learning activities to small groups or individual pupils under the guidance of a teacher.
Lunch Club Leader
If you have a passion for a particular sport, art, craft or hobby and feel you can make it accessible to pupils with special educational needs, please talk to us about the possibility of running a lunch-time club. Any club introduced would be fully supported by Avenue employees.
Aside from the personal satisfaction of knowing that you have made a positive difference to the lives of children and young people, volunteering can offer the following benefits:
- a comprehensive induction programme
- the opportunity to develop valuable, transferable skills and experience to add to your CV
- a character reference from The Avenue School to use when applying for paid employment
- free attendance at inset training to equip you with the skills you need to work within a special needs setting
- the opportunity to meet new people and be part of a friendly, committed, dynamic team of professionals
- for people wishing to enter a career in teaching, work experience within a school will strengthen applications for PGCE and School Direct courses.
For further information about the voluntary positions outlined above, please contact: Vanessa Carrick, HR Manager:
Tel: 0118 214 5257
In addition to the above opportunities for individuals, we also have a number of projects that might be of interest to large companies and organisations that are able to offer financial and practical support to charities within their local community (Please see About Us, How to Support our School). For further information on our school development projects, please contact:
Andrew Green, Lettings and Development Officer:
Tel: 0118 3389030
We are committed to the safeguarding of our pupils and all volunteers with direct access to pupils will be required to provide references and will be subject to a DBS check.
Visits to the school are warmly welcomed.
To access our Volunteer Policy PLEASE CLICK HERE